SAN FERNANDO COMMUNITY ARCHIVE
SAN FERNANDO HISTORICAL TIMELINE
- 1595 Sir Walter Raleigh encounters "Anaparima"
- 1792 San Fernando is christened
- "San Fernando de Naparima"
- 1818 Fire destroyed the entire city
- 1845 Arrival of SS Lady Mc Leod.
- 1853 San Fernando elevated to a Borough
- 1854 A wooden Town Hall Erected.
- 1864 Arrival of Canadian Presbyterian Missionaries
- 1866 First oil well drilled in San Fernando
- 1870 First sitting of the Supreme Court in San Fernando
- 1871 Opening of a Mission School on Cipero Street by the Presbyterians
- 1872 Opening of the Susamachar
- "Glad Tidings" Presbyterian Church
- 1880 Visit to San Fernando by Princes Albert and George
- 1882 (a) Rail service between San Fernando and Princes Town
- (b) Hosay Massacre at Mon Repos.
- 1896 Borough lighted by kerosene lamps.
- 1898 Telephone system installed
- 1912 Formation of Naparima Girls' High School.
- 1919 Opening of Carnegie Free Library
- 1922 Formation of a branch of Coterie of Social Workers.
- 1923 Borough received electricity
- 1924 New Fish Market Built
- 1927 Salvation Army Hall opened on Coffee Street.
- 1928 New Abattoir opened.
- Year HISTORICAL FACTS
- 1930 (a) Gift of Skinner Park given to San Fernandians (b) First bus service inaugurated in the Borough. (c) Boundaries of the Borough extended. (d) Laying of the corner stone for new Town Hall. (e) Supreme Court Constructed
- 1931 New Town Hall opened
- 1932 Dedication of Susamachar Presbyterian Church.
- 1939 Construction of the Mon Repos Housing Scheme.
- 1940 (a) Construction of San Fernando By Pass (b) Construction of Grant Memorial School
- 1948 San Fernando born Rodney Wilkes, national weightlifter and T&T first Olympic (silver) medalist.
- 1952 The statue of Mahatma Gandhi was brought from India and erected on Harris Promenade
- 1955 New Hospital officially opened in February
- 1956 Building of Pleasantville Housing Estate
- 1962 Opening of Naparima Bowl.
- 1966 Chinese Community of San Fernando presented The Library Clock to the People of
- San Fernando.
- 1975 Construction of San Fernando Boys RC School.
- 1988 San Fernando officially declared Trinidad and Tobago's second city.
RECORDS FOUND FOR THIS AREA: 3 >>>>